Lourdes Berindoague was sitting in school one day when everyone began to feel sick.
One of her classmates raised her hand to answer a question and fell from her chair. Another girl began to vomit. A third student went to the bathroom, where he fainted.
“I was scared,” Berindoague told CBC News earlier this month. “I didn’t know if it would happen to me.”
What was happening was a carbon monoxide leak, which sent 50 students and staff members at Lourdes’ school — École des Découvreurs in Montreal – to the hospital.
Fortunately, everyone at the school appears to be OK. But not everyone who encounters carbon monoxide is as lucky.
Known as “the silent killer,” carbon monoxide is a gas that forms when fuels such as wood and oil don’t fully burn off, creating colorless, odorless, invisible fumes.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss how to detect carbon monoxide leaks in your home or business and how Montgomery County gas safety systems can help protect against this deadly threat.